Sunday 15 January 2017

How to Get Out of a "Creative Rut"

Hello Everyone!!!
 
I had a gallery visit planned for today's post (which I still will post, don't worry) but this post felt more natural to write today so here goes...
 
Have you ever been stuck in a rut? Be it creative or just life in general? Because that's how I feel right now. And as this blog is a place were we can hopefully learn and grow creatively from each other, I thought this might be the place to hopefully help you with tips to get out of the rut if you feel the same way.
 
Here are some really fast hand drawings I did yesterday. If you think you have nothing to draw what's in front of you!
 
I don't know about you but I feel like sometimes when we have a hobby, passion or career that we love and it feels so much worse when something goes wrong. I suppose this shows how much we care.
 
Sometimes when there is too much thrown at me or a project is too exciting I get completely overwhelmed and just pause.

Do you know what I mean? And then it feels like the longer you pause the more effort it will take to start the project again. This my friends is what I call a "Creative Rut".
 
Make your creative space helpful to you. I stuck inspirational quotes on my wall.
I am no professional (unless you're taking about a professional procrastinator) but I would say, you have two options: 1. sit around watching random Youtube videos all day until you finally look up and your eyes feel square and you realise you have done nothing with your life or 2. kick some butt (metaphorically, please don't kick any real butts)! Get out of that rut and produce a body of work that you will feel so proud of!!
 
Hmmmmm... well to me it's a no brainer, the second option is the one for me! So then why do I keep finding myself having square eyes and an empty sketchbook??
 
When I hear people talk about their passions I find it so beautiful! To think that someone works constantly, and never has a reason to stop because they love it so much, is absolutely awesome! I used to feel like I was one of those people but ever since I've been going to college and applying for Uni, I suddenly feel so small.
 
Don't get me wrong I absolutely love college and really feel like my mind has been opened and maybe this "Creative Rut" feeling is a perfectly normal side effect.
If you're tired of drawing, use your hands!! Start making in 3D, I guarantee it will help you see from a different perspective!
 
I think the main thing of a "Creative Rut" is the feeling of being completely overwhelmed. I keep hearing all these amazing stories of how people make their creative practise their everyday life and never separate the two. So then when I don't quite feel in the mood to draw, I suddenly feel so inadequate.
 
But you see I am human at the end of the day, I'm not a machine.
Step out of your comfort zone! Rethink what drawing is for you. Try drawing sound or how you feel in your mind instead of a physical object.
 
Rethink painting! This is when I got frustrated with my painting so I dipped tape in paint and covered a page in it. Now I suppose you could say its a representation of my frustration at the time haha! (There is no right or wrong with paint do what you enjoy!)

So! I don't want to be in a "Creative Rut", I'm sure we all don't, so how are we going to fix it?!
  1. Turn off the screens (not yet if you want to finished reading this post first haha!). If you're procrastinating in anyway try and break the habit. Believe me I know that feeling but one step at a time will help you.
  2. Get your camera out and take a photo (of anything, you don't even have to move, not yet anyway) I find that a camera can be a frame to help you see the beauty in something. Also flicking through old shoots you have done will help remind you of your creativity!(If you don't have a camera draw quickly or just look around for a bit and be inspired.
  3. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!! It sounds so rediculously cheesy I know but it's true! Remember how strong and creative you are! YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  4. Don't compare yourself to others! Now I love appreciating other people's work, I think talent is a truly beautiful thing but don't put yourself down for it. There is no such thing as perfection, it's just something we construct in our heads, so we will never reach it. Just look after youself and you'll find the creative you will be back in no time
  5. It's up to you. If you still feel stuck then its completely up to you to turn it around. Find an outlet for you, whack paint on paper, draw with your eyes closed, hit a piano and see what sounds you make! It's up to you at the end of the day to change how you feel.
Get out there!! Tell a friend or family member that you're stuck and go see an exhibition together. Different points of view can really open your minds. 
When I was flicking through my camera I saw the last few photos I had taken. They were pretty cool and I hadn't done anything with them. It made me realise that when I feel inadequate next to these amazing people that make art everyday, it is not because I don't make art everyday but that I don't show it!

Here's a photo I took ages ago, I really like it but I've never shown anyone.
 
So I suppose what I'm trying to say (and if you're still reading this then you are the best!) is just GO FOR IT!!
 
Be fearless! Put yourself out there! YOU ARE AWESOME!
 
The world is a beautiful place so get out there and make the most of it!! Here's a photo I took on a little Paris adventure!
 
So there you go! I hope that has helped you if you feel a little less stuck in a "Creative Rut". And if you still feel stuck, well at least you know you're not alone!
 
I wish you all the happiness in the world!
Hope you have a great day!!
 
 

2 comments: