Friday 4 September 2015

Visiting the Saatchi Gallery

Hello Everyone!

You've probably guessed from the title... but today's post is all about my visit to the Saatchi Gallery. I took a lot of photos with my new camera and wanted to share the experience with you
 
 
The Saatchi gallery is an amazing contemporary gallery in the UK (it's my favourite gallery!). Here's a little description that is from the website:

The Saatchi Gallery aims to provide an innovative forum for contemporary art, presenting work by largely unseen young artists or by international artists whose work has been rarely or never exhibited in the UK. http://www.saatchigallery.com/gallery/intro.htm 
 
I had been to the Saatchi gallery before; however, the first time I went, part of the building was closed for renovation. Going a second time was even more exciting, not only because I could see parts of the gallery I had never seen before, but also to be able to see the art again and see if I have a new perspective on the pieces.
 
 
Personally, I think that the Saatchi gallery is brilliant because I love the fact that there are no restrictions to how close you can get to the art work; the whole gallery is completely free; and there is such a huge variety of work, styles, artists, techniques, and mediums. I always feel so inspired when going to galleries and I am especially inspired when visiting the Saatchi Gallery. There are all types of art at the Saatchi Gallery, form painting and sculpture, to collage, installations, photography, and so much more.

Here are some of the photos I took of the work exhibited in the Saatchi gallery. Feel free to scroll through and look at what you like. I would love to hear what you think of the work in the comments.
 
If you want to know any more about the Saatchi gallery check out this link to their website http://www.saatchigallery.com/
 
Jean-François Boclé
Everything Must Go
 
 
This is a photo I took of the huge installation that filled the room. It was made of plastic bags. This is the first thing you see when entering the Saatchi gallery and I think it is very striking.
 
This is a close up section of the installation.
 
Federico Herrero
Barco
 
 

This is a photo I took of a section of a very large painting by Federico Herrero. I think this abstract style is very interesting and I love how the more you look at it, the more your imagination creates different images from within the painting.

 
The Saatchi gallery is very minimalistic in it's layout. I think this helps to make the whole room become art in it's own right; not just the individual pieces of art work.
 
Pia Camil
 
 
I found her Sculptures very abstract. They were strategically placed throughout the gallery and I wondered if they spelt something but I couldn't find any words within. Let me know what you think.
 
 
Armand Boua
 
 

I love these mixed media paintings. They are created with tar and I think they are amazing!! I would love to try something like this, I think it's so clever!

 
Aboudia
 
 
 
 
 
 
Alexandre da Cunha
Marron/Celeste
 
 
I thought these sculptures were really clever and unusual. Gloss paint on a rubber tyre was used to create this effect.
 
Ephrem Solomon
 
 
 I loved the technique used to create these. The board was carefully chipped away to create patterns and skin tones in the portraits.
 
Boris Nzebo
 
 

I thought these paintings were so beautiful!! I loved the bright and bold colours created with acrylic paint on canvas. I also loved how the more you looked, the more you would find within the paintings. I bought a postcard of this in the shop and now I have it on my wall! Haha!


 
 
Diego Mendoza Imbachi
 
 
I think the technique used to texturise the trees is beautiful. 
 
I took this photo using a low shutter speed and zoom. I talked about how to do this in my previous blog post, feel free to check it out http://blank-kanvas.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/my-first-professional-camera.html
   
Dawit Abebe
No.2 Background 1
 
 
I love this style of painting! I used an intense setting on the creative mode on my camera to bring out the colours in the skin tone.
 
Jorge Mayet
 

I love how these small trees seem to hang from nowhere, it looks as if they are floating.
 
 

I thought I would be a bit arty and I used a low shutter speed and zoom to take this photo.

DEAD: A Celebration of Mortality Exhibition
 
 
WARNING! Some of the following photos might be a bit upsetting (I tried to pick the nicest ones but the concept is death).
 
This was an exhibition within the gallery. I found it very haunting at times; however, the techniques, skills and mediums used to create this art work was amazing.
 

This was the first thing I saw of the exhibition. 'Bodies' were on the ground and this idea of death was represented in different ways using different mediums e.g. clay, bin bags, wax, etc.

Personally, I thought this sculpture could represent the soul rising. I also noticed the clay was wet, could this represent how constant death is? Let me know what you think.

 

You may recognise this painting from my last blog post. This is the image without the low shutter speed and zoom.

 
 
 

This was an amazing mixed media charcoal drawing. I thought it was very haunting because the closer I looked, I could see there were eyes in the ball staring out.

Oil Installation
 
 
I definitely recommend seeing this installation in person because it is breath taking!! The whole room is full of oil and it very cleverly reflects the ceiling, creating amazing geometric shapes.
 
 
So there we go! Thank you for getting to the end, I hope you enjoyed visiting the Saatchi Gallery with me (you know what I mean, haha!)
 
I definitely recommend visiting the Saatchi Gallery if you are ever in the UK!
 
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the art work so feel free to leave a comment.
 
Thank you so much for reading! If you want to check out the Saatchi gallery here's another link (to save you scrolling back) http://www.saatchigallery.com/ 
 
Thanks again, have a great day!


6 comments: